Sunday, April 18, 2010

Extinction nears for whales and dolphins


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBi2tZGsg0E&feature=player_embedded

Key Ideas:
  • Some whales, dolphins and porpoises are now so endangered they could vanish within a decade, scientists say.
  • The warning comes from an international group of cetacean experts at IUCN-The World Conservation Union.
  • It lists the 86 recognized cetacean species, from the whales to the small and seldom-seen freshwater species in southern Asia and Latin America. The Group focuses on smaller species that are particularly threatened with extinction.
  • The baiji, a freshwater dolphin now limited to the main channel of the Yangtze river in China, is considered the most endangered cetacean.
  • Threats to cetaceans include the deliberate killing of some species for food and predator control.
  • The plan includes recommendations for action to protect some of the most threatened species.

Reflection

I thought this story was really interesting to learn about. I chose to read this story because it jumped out at me. I also think dolphins are fascinating. This story kind of hit me hard because it really showed me that animals are going extinct because of humans’ actions. Why should they suffer for our behavior? It just doesn’t make sense to me. Some of the future implications that arise from this story are that some species dolphins, whales, and porpoises will go extinct if we don’t change our way of life and that some scientists are working on a plan to protect endangered species. I was interested in this story because it is completely relevant to what’s happening in the world around me. Science is developing, but on the down side, some species of animals have the possibility of going extinct. I think that we can change things in out world if we try to. This course helped me to understand this topic because we studied extinction during the evolution unit.

MLA: Kirby, Alex. "Extinction Nears for Whales and Dolphins." BBC NEWS | News Front Page. 14 May 2003. Web. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3024785.stm.

No comments:

Post a Comment